[b-hebrew] When did )NK in Amos 7:7f become interpreted as "plumb line"?

Yigal Levin Yigal.Levin at biu.ac.il
Fri Mar 23 11:25:42 EDT 2012

Hi Daniel,

Rashi, David Qimhi and Ibn-Ezra (10-12th centuries) all claim the word is similar to the Arabic and means either "lead" or "a builder's tool" - which I suppose would be a plumb line.

BTW, even if the Akkadian does mean "tin", tin could have been used for the same purpose. Tin and lead are not all that different. Both were used to alloy with copper to produce bronze.

Best

Yigal Levin