[b-hebrew] asherah (purim???)

Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. nir at ccet.ufrn.br
Tue Mar 20 08:17:34 EDT 2012

dear jim,

>  You quoted the Jewish Encyclopedia as follows:  “Asherah was also the name of a Syrian goddess. In the El-Amarna tablets of the fifteenth century B.C. her name appears with the determinative for deity as a part of the name Arad-Ashirta (or 'Ebed-Asherah).”

just to clarify, i was just citing internet sources and not expressing any opinion.

> Jacob’s son Asher at Genesis 30: 13 has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the goddess Asherah.

i was referring to the connective ASHER ("which") and not to the name ASHER. as to the name, who knows? after all, according
to the sources i quoted ASHERAH was mentioned also with regards to the temple, and perhaps was originally not exclusively
associated with pagan practices.

nir cohen

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 22:10:09 -0400 (EDT), jimstinehart wrote