[b-hebrew] 'there is one God but God'

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Sun Mar 18 05:52:51 EDT 2012

The Islamic phrase is actually, "There is no God but Allah" (la ilaha illa allah).

Comparable, but not exact, phrases include:

Deut 6.4; 32.39; Isa 44.6; 45.5.

Paul also seems to have a loose quote of Deut 6.4 in 1 Cor 8.4.

None of these are Trinitarian, though the Christian doctrine of the Trinity properly understood is a monotheistic belief. But since Trinitarian theology is beyond the scope of the forum, I won't go into it.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia