[b-hebrew] Psa 1,1f

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Mon Mar 12 21:00:47 EDT 2012

Yes, Galia's term modus irrealis captures the sense of the Yiqtol well for the most part. I'm not sure it's the best term for understanding the habitual past action that the Yiqtol can often convey, but it is a very good term, nonetheless.

I wouldn't equate the Weqatal with this, however. Weqatal is simply a continuation or adjunct verb, much like the participle in Greek. In my opinion it's actually just a Qatal with a plain conjunction on the front. The conjunction does something important syntactically, but the verb as a whole does not, in my estimation, convey modus irrealis. If it does, the Qatal itself must also convey modus irrealis. But it doesn't.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia