[b-hebrew] Psa 1,1f

Borger, Todd tborger at sebts.edu
Fri Mar 9 13:46:47 EST 2012

Dear Chavoux,
[This is my first post here, so I hope that I am sending this correctly.]

Although I have not seen Ps. 1:1 translated that way before, it would seem to fit well with Hebrew grammar. We have a problem with BH that the basic way to express past tense is with the vayyiqtol, which must be clause-initial, and the method for negating a proposition is with a negative particle that must come before the verb. Thus you cannot negate a vayyiqtol statement--and keep the vayyiqtol structure in tact.
If we had three positive statements in v.1 instead of the three negative statements, we would probably know more certainly if your suggestion is correct, since it would likely read Rel Pronoun-Qatal, Vayyiqtol,
Vayyiqtol, etc. Since they are negatives, however, we are left with the less distinct Neg-Qatal, Neg-Qatal, etc.

I appreciate your suggestion.

Blessings,
Todd Borger