[b-hebrew] Psa 1,1f

Chavoux Luyt chavoux at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 12:26:21 EST 2012

Hi Karl

> From: K Randolph <kwrandolph at gmail.com>
> The whole psalm is present tense, imperfective aspect. What we deal with
> here is different moods.
>
> In the first verse, there are three declarative phrases that defines a
> blessed person. Hence the Qatal in all three phrases.
>
> The second verse the Yiqtol indicates the desire, or subjunctive use of the
> verb.
<snip>
> The Qatal and Yiqtol conjugations reference neither tense (past, present,
> future) nor aspect (completed, uncompleted action), and this psalm gives
> examples that this is the case.
Why is this so? From both an aspect and tense perspective the Psalm
would still make sense.
"Blessed is the man who did not walk in the counsel of the wicked and
in the way of the sinners he did not stand and in the gathering of the
scoffers he did not sit. But his delight (is) in the law of the LORD
and day and night he will meditate on His law. He will be like a tree
planted by a stream of water..."

I can simply not see why this cannot be a valid translation of these verses.

Shalom
Chavoux Luyt