[b-hebrew] suffixes

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Mar 1 18:16:43 EST 2012

That's very fine; they have their way of thinking and others have
their way of thinking.

The difficulties I have with the root XWH are:

1. The root does not appear elsewhere in the HB in the present sense
(yet if pressed I could say that it is a variant of QWH and GBH.)

2. The word VAYI$TAXU does not contain the letter H, and the last W
is here apparently but a vowel.

Also, it calls for a vague eshtafal binyan not found elsewhere in the
Hebrew bible, with an inserted, non radical, letter Shin that needs
yet to be explained.

I know that you are fond of "cognate" languages, but you should bear
in mind that many of us here don't have the wherewithal to
independently verify the (hearsay?) claims made on "Ugaritic" or
"Akkadian".

Isaac Fried, Boston University