[b-hebrew] Hebrew Meanings of Biblical Names

David Kolinsky yishalom at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 16 18:33:11 EDT 2012

Jim,

Did it ever occur to you that YaRae'aCh = Moon also means "wanderer?"

Unlike the sun, whose pattern of movement is rather simple, that of the moon is far more complicated.  To an untrained eye like my own, the moon seems to simply be wandering about both the day and night skies.

Also TeRaCh could mean "one who waits or hesitates" literally "one who catches his breath (RuaCh) or takes a respite (ReVaCh)."  The verb TRCh means "to keep back,  to allow time" in Biblical Aramaic and "to be sad, to grieve" in Arabic.  Have you ever noticed that his father's name NaChoR means "to be rebuked?"

David Kolinsky
Monterey CA