[b-hebrew] Hebrew Transliteration

Daniel Lundsgaard Skovenborg waldeinburg at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 10:19:28 EDT 2012

Hi Barry,

There's two approaches to this:

1. Use a keyboard layout for the purpose. They keyboard will insert the proper Unicode character, like ʾ. (But that was probably what you meant with "a special character set".)
Now, I'm not currently aware of
keyboard for classical translitteration, but you can get keyboards for
IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet):
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=UniIPAKeyboard
I think these keyboards will only lack ʾ and ʿ, but I believe you can insert these by holding Alt and
typing 02BE or 02BF. Anyway, I think we should adopt IPA (ʔ
and ʕ), but that's just my opinion.

As fonts like Times New Roman are not always fully implemented, you may also want to download an IPA font:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?&cat_id=FontDownloadsIPA
Your documents will not be broken without, but some diacritics may be placed slightly wrong.

2. (which have to be mentioned,
but don't use it:) Legacy fonts: You type in standard latin letters
using your standard keyboard layout and apply a font that e.g. renders
the letter A as ʾ.
You can for example get the SPAtlantis font here: http://www.sbl-site.org/educational/biblicalfonts_splegacyfonts.aspx
BUT: Because of Unicode, legacy
fonts are an obsolete approach (sorry, Bibleworks, but it is). It's a hack, and your documents will be
broken on computers that don't have the font.
We should raise our children to
believe that, like playing with fire, using legacy fonts will make you
pee in the bed (… just kidding).

Regards,
Daniel Lundsgaard Skovenborg