[b-hebrew] Hiram Hirom Huram

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Jul 17 17:57:03 EDT 2012

I think we need to make a clear distinction between the meaning of
the root,
which is material, or "basic", and the suggestive, borrowed, or implied,
meaning of a word.
Take for instance the root נשא NS), 'lift, elevate', and the word
נשיא 'superior'.

I think that the root קדש QD$ is a variant of the root GD$ of GADI$,
'full, complete, replete', and hence קדוש QADO$ is essentially
'meaningful, significant'.

The conjecture that XERMON is 'the holy one' is reasonable, but I
don't believe,
not even for a brief moment, that כרמל KARMEL is KEREM-EL,
'god's plantation of grapevines'.
I rather think that the fraction כר KAR is 'hill, mound, meadow',
as in Is. 30:23,  and that MEL is 'full, plump, ample'.

I would be careful of interpreting the apparent fraction AXIY- in
AXIY-RAM or AXIY-MELEK
as 'the brother of', the same way I would be careful of interpreting
the apparent fraction
ABIY- in ABIY-GAYIL (1Sam. 25:3), or ABIY-$AG (1Ki. 1:3), as 'the
father of'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University