[b-hebrew] Hiram Hirom Huram

Yigal Levin Yigal.Levin at biu.ac.il
Tue Jul 17 12:16:32 EDT 2012

Other than in Isaac's reconstructions - no. The usual assumption is that
Mount Hermon was called that because it was considered sacred by the local
Canaanites (or whoever).

As far as Hiram, it is usually considered to be a shortened form of Ahiram,
a fairly common Phoenician and Hebrew name, literally meaning "my brother is
exalted", where "brother" is an epithet for the deity, similar to
"Ab(i)ram", "Ah(i)ab" and so on. So the name Hiram is actually not derived
from XRM.

Yigal Levin