[b-hebrew] Hiram Hirom Huram

Will Parsons wbparsons at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jul 16 21:17:17 EDT 2012

An additional note below...

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 20:56:33 -0400 (EDT), Will Parsons <wbparsons at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi Yodan,
>
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:26:49 -0700, "Yodan" <yodan at yodanco.com> wrote:
>> Shalom to all,
>>
>> Can someone who is able to read the Greek LXX help me out with the
>> names HIRAM, HIROM, and HURAM (as these names are transliterated
>> from Hebrew).
>>
>> How do they appear in the LXX - like in Hebrew, or are all of them
>> Hiram as I have been told?
>>
>> HIRAM - in II Samuel 5:17.
>
> I think you mean 5:11, but it is Χιραμ/Chiram.
>
>> HIROM - in I Kings 5:24.
>
> Likewise Χιραμ/Chiram.
>
>> HURAM - in I Chronicles 8:5.
>
> I see Ωιμ/Oïm.  Quite different.  It does suggest that the first vowel
> was a back vowel (like [o] or [u]) rather the front vowel [i] of the
> other forms.  The lack of the initial Χ/chi of the other forms may be
> an indication that the older distinction between two pronunciations of
> heth had now been merged into one - the lighter of the two.

I sent off the reply too soon.  In the /apparatus criticus/,
ουραμ/Ouram is also cited with the notation "compl." (which I assume
is an abbreviation for "complures"), and which is a close match to the
Hebrew form (again, assuming the harsher pronunciation of heth had
fallen together with the lighter).

--
William Parsons
μη φαινεσθαι, αλλ' ειναι.