[b-hebrew] Hiram Hirom Huram

Will Parsons wbparsons at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jul 16 20:56:33 EDT 2012

Hi Yodan,

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:26:49 -0700, "Yodan" <yodan at yodanco.com> wrote:
> Shalom to all,
>
> Can someone who is able to read the Greek LXX help me out with the
> names HIRAM, HIROM, and HURAM (as these names are transliterated
> from Hebrew).
>
> How do they appear in the LXX - like in Hebrew, or are all of them
> Hiram as I have been told?
>
> HIRAM - in II Samuel 5:17.

I think you mean 5:11, but it is Χιραμ/Chiram.

> HIROM - in I Kings 5:24.

Likewise Χιραμ/Chiram.

> HURAM - in I Chronicles 8:5.

I see Ωιμ/Oïm.  Quite different.  It does suggest that the first vowel
was a back vowel (like [o] or [u]) rather the front vowel [i] of the
other forms.  The lack of the initial Χ/chi of the other forms may be
an indication that the older distinction between two pronunciations of
heth had now been merged into one - the lighter of the two.

--
William Parsons
μη φαινεσθαι, αλλ' ειναι.