[b-hebrew] Subject in Jer 31,2 ?

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 12 23:12:59 EDT 2012

Peter,
Thanks for sharing. Comments below.

Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info
And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring: That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God. (Num 15:39-40)

[Steve Miller:] Yes, it does make more sense that way

> - At the first glance I found no other reference that JHWH and HLK are
> combined.

[Steve Miller:] JHWH and HLK are common during the Exodus. Ex 13:21; Num 14:14; Deu 1:30; 20:4;23:14;31:6,8.

> I'd suggest therefore: "when Isreal wandered in order to come to its rest".

[Steve Miller:] The 1st 1/2 of the verse has the subject, "the people remaining of the sword" last. So, it reads more poetic to me to have the subject be last in the 2nd 1/2 of the verse also.

Thus says the Lord,
They found grace in the wilderness, did the people remaining from the sword.
Then he was journeying to find his rest, was Israel.

The passage describes the Lord's viewing Israel with love. After almost the entire older generation were killed off in the wilderness, they found grace. They were then journeying with a purpose to come into their promised rest, which found grace in the Lord's eyes and also was a result of the Lord's grace.