[b-hebrew] Different binyan, same meaning?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Fri Jul 6 08:53:05 EDT 2012

1. You are right that in 1:17 Ruth is using Niph'al in talking about
herself in the future.

2. I would be careful about generalities. It is safer to talk about
specific examples and instances. Also, the terminology is not very
clear to me.
What things mean, and what is "the same", may depend on our own
perception in imagining the flow of events.

In Jer. 23:9, for example, we have נשבר לבי בקרבי NI-$BAR
LIBI BQIRBIY, translated as 'My heart is broken within me'. It seems
to me that, if so, then, here NI-$BAR = $ABUR, but, I am not
discounting the possibility of understanding NI-$BAR as referring to
a moment in the past, at which the heart of the prophet passed from
the state "whole" to the state "broken".

3. more examples would be very helpful in seeng the usages of this
binyan.

Isaac Fried, Boston University