[b-hebrew] -HM vs -MW suffix

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Feb 21 11:30:17 EST 2012

It is all Biblical Hebrew, but the HB contains different parallel
grammatical forms and constructions.  The commonly suffixed personal
pronoun is -U as in TA-$UB-U (containing three personal pronouns)
תשובו of Jos. 23:12, but also, more rarely, -UN as in T$UBUN of
1Ki. 9:6. What prompted the editor to use -UN instead of -U is not
clear to me, the same way it is not clear to me why he prefers to use
in Ex. 9:25 $IBER שִבֵּר instead of $ABAR (I don't believe, not
even for a moment that piel represents a "strong" action.)

In the spoken Hebrew of today -UN is out.

When you say that, say, -IY is a suffix you are only implying that it
is not radical. For example, BIY as in BIY ADONIY of Nu. 12:11. If -
IY is here a suffix, then the word (or macro-word) is of the single-
consonant root B, corresponding to the English 'be', with something
attached to it. But what is this something, is it the same thing as
in BIY, 'in me', of 2Sam. 14:33?

Isaac Fried, Boston University