[b-hebrew] -HM vs -MW suffix

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Fri Feb 17 12:01:44 EST 2012

We touched upon it here on several occasions, on which I expressed my
belief that the
prefixed (or pre-hitched or pre-adhered) $E ֶש is but a curtailed
(which is the price of hitching)
ZEH זֶה or ZEH: (notice the colon). I believe the letter L in $EL
is a single-consonant root
meaning AL עַל or EL אֵל 'on'. $EL also appears to me to be a
variant of ECEL אֵצֶל 'by'.

Thus, $ELO = $EL-HU, $ELIY = $EL-ANIY, $ELANU = $EL-ANU, etc.

Isaac Fried, Boston University