[b-hebrew] -HM vs -MW suffix

Uzi Silber uzisilber at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 08:13:12 EST 2012

Isaac:

Many years ago I watched the linguist Avshalom Kor on Israeli TV expound on
the word 'shel'.  He explained that 'shel' is a contraction of the more
archaic expression 'asher leh', as in 'shir hashirim asher le Shlomo' which
would be shir hashirim shel Shlomo'.

If follows then that 'shelo' and 'shelanu' would be short for 'asher lo'
and 'asher lanu'.

Uzi Silber