Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Feb 14 13:04:24 EST 2012

I have asked my trusted friend and confidant Duvidle Green for some
counsel, and this is what he had to say about the strangeness of
EDOTEYKA עֵדְו‍ֹתֶיךָ of Ne. 9:34:

1. Strangely enough, it is of the single-consonant root D, as is OD,
'more', and ADAD, 'uplift', (see in Ps.20:9), with ADAD being a
variant of AZAZ, and A$A$, 'alert'.

2. It is with the strange plural marker OT = HU-AT reserved for
girls, possibly to remove it from EDIYM = ED-HEM, 'witnesses'. The
feminine plural EDOT is practically non existent.

3. Then says D. G. this: The OT marker removes the possibility of
'your witnesses', but what is this strange EY stuck there after  OT.
This, he says, in his (almost) infinite wisdom, is possibly the
ancient plural marker II = HI-HI preserved now only as an attachment,
as in XALONEY, 'windows', of 1 Ki. 6:4.

4. Strangely enough, for the possessive, Hebrew uses the obsolete
(preserved in truncated form only as an attachment) personal pronoun
AKAH (as in ANOKIY) instead of the, now common, ATAH.

Isaac Fried, Boston University