[b-hebrew] The word “with”

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 10:17:41 EST 2012

Dear B-Hebrew Fellows:

I just want to show something that I first noticed years ago, but just
recently listed its occurrences, namely that the word for “with” which is
usually spelled את )T, is sometimes spelled אות )WT the same as the word
for “sign”. The verses I found so far are Joshua 10:25, 2 Kings 1:15, 6:16,
19, 10:6 Is 59:21, Jeremiah 1:16, 4:12, 5:5, 10:5, 35:2, Ezekiel 10:22,
33:32, 37:26, 43:11. I found many of these while looking to see if the noun
אוה )WH is ever found with a third person plural masculine suffix (I did
not find any such) which would have been spelled אותם (WTM if it were found.

Do these verses indicate that the original pronunciation may have been
closer to “ote” than the present “et”?

I think this may be of interest to the group, but don’t think a discussion
can be made of it.

Karl W. Randolph.