[b-hebrew] Biblical Names Ending in -YH

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 16:15:09 EST 2012

Jim:

There are problems with your assumptions, where you are using your
assumptions as proof.

In Tanakh there are stories of non-Israelites who believed and followed
YHWH, and so would have no problem naming their children in honor of YHWH.
One of the most famous was Caleb, a contemporary of Joshua, whose family
settled around Hebron. His nephew (TNY)L was the first judge who saved
Israel from a foreign oppressor (Judges 3:10). Therefore, without any
proof, you cannot claim that )WRYH, David’s soldier, was not from one such
family, therefore was not named in honor of YHWH.

You have absolutely no evidence about the background of %RYH, David’s
scribe. Therefore your assumptions can be considered as off-the-wall. Do
you have evidence that %RYH was not one of the 400–600 men who joined David
while he was fleeing Saul? Or that he wasn’t David’s scribe when David
ruled in Hebron, before taking Jerusalem?

You ignore that the endings -YH and -YHW were used interchangeably, both
referring to YHWH, so that MYKYHW in Judges 17:1, 4 is the same as if he
had spelled it MYKYH, so that name fits your criteria.

You do sample biasing, ruling out earlier evidence just because its record
survives only in a book that was written later. That book was written when
the Israelite genealogy tables were still extant (burned in 70 AD when the
temple was burned) so there’s no reason to assume that (ZRYH 1 Chronicles
2:8 is not an accurate record of someone who preceded David.

And now someone has pointed out that )BYH was one of the sons of Saul.

It’s true that names change in popularity, but you have no evidence that
David invented a whole class of names.

Repeatedly you’ve been told not to treat your assumptions and opinions as
evidence, and this is another example. Without evidence, your assumptions
and opinions are just hot air.

And as you pointed out, I need to be more careful in vetting my evidence
before posting it here.

Karl W. Randolph.