[b-hebrew] PAAM, was KPR

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Dec 29 20:35:46 EST 2012

I still think that he who talks about Hebrew etymology
should explain what he means by this "etymology".

Etymology, I think, is not meaning but rather interconnectivity.
As an example consider the

ויהי בבקר ותפעם רוחו

of Gen. 41:8, "And it came to pass in the morning that his (Pharaoh's)
spirit was troubled."

There is no doubt as to what happened in the morning, except
that we are left curious about the nature of the physical evocation
of the intangible emotional state WA-TI-PAEM, above and beyond
the facile "troubled". In particular, how, we want to know, is this
related to the זאת הפעם ZOT HA-PAAM, "this is now", of Gen. 2:23.
Also פעמות PAM-OT, "corners", of Ex. 25:12. Also פעמון PAAM-
ON,
"bell", of Ex. 28:34.

I think that פעם is a variant of the Mishnaic פטם PTM,
(from which we have פטמה PITMAH, 'nipple, teat'),
'inflated, swelled, fat, plump, obese', (related to the פצם PCM
of Ps. 60:4(2)), so that פעמון PAAMON is but a chubby מפוטם
thin walled metal ball (bell = bellowing ball?) with bits of metal
put inside it to make a rattling noise.

Isaac Fried, Boston University