[b-hebrew] Tense

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 11:54:34 EST 2012

Vance:

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Donald Vance <donaldrvance at mac.com> wrote:

> Karl's non-answer aside,

My non-answer? Are not leading questions a more effective way to
communicate and debate than simple statements?

> we would, of course, assign a past time sphere, to use the question's
> terminology, and we would do so because the wayyiqtol pattern preserves or
> retains an old perfective form. The introduction to Leviticus makes this
> clear.

What old perfective form? Where does that come from? If it’s from the
mythological proto-Semitic, why should we accept it as evidence?

Or is the Wayyiqtol introduction a sign that the following is a narrative?
Did you look at the introductions to all the narrative books? Didn’t you
notice that except for Genesis and 1 Chronicles, both which start at the
very beginning, all but a couple of the narratives, including a couple of
the prophets who told their stories as narratives (Jonah, Ezekiel), start
with Wayyiqtols? So rather than being a sign of the perfective, wouldn’t
this be merely a sign of narrative, continuation?

> Sent from my iPad
> Donald R. Vance
> dvance at oru.edu
> donaldrvance at mac.com

Going back to the question that started this thread, don’t the number of
cases where the Wayyiqtol is found in non-past contexts make it impossible
to say whether or not a single Wayyiqtol standing alone refers to a past
event apart from a context that indicates past tense?

Karl W. Randolph.