[b-hebrew] Tense

Rolf rolf.furuli at sf-nett.no
Mon Dec 17 08:28:20 EST 2012

Dear Chavoux,

See my comments below.

Mandag 17. Desember 2012 12:31 CET skrev Chavoux Luyt <chavoux at gmail.com>:

> Shalom Rolf

My basic point is that the WAYYIQTOL is a YIQTOL with prefixed WAW. A narrative is a description of a sequence of events. It has past reference and needs not start with a QATAL. Most WAYYIQTOLs occur in narratives, and the verbs carrying the action forward in a narrative have past reference. The problem is that the clauses in a narrative with WAYYIQTOLs are not transparent. This means that we see the past reference (their outside nature) , but we cannot know whether the past reference is pragmatic or semantic (the inside nature). We cannot know whether the WAYYIQTOL represents grammaticalized past tense or the perfective aspect and the past reference therefore is semantic; or whether the past reference is caused by the narrative itself and the form is imperfective.

The situation is similar in more than 90 percent of the clauses of Classical Hebrew; we can see the temporal reference, but we cannot know at the outset know what causes this temporal reference, if particular verb forms have an intrinsic past or future reference or not. In order to find the meaning of the conjugations we must analyze clauses that are more transparent than the narrative clauses.

While we cannot know the real nature of the narrative WAYYIQTOLs, we can learn much from a study of the use of YIQTOLs with past reference. Of the 1,027 YIQTOLs with past reference I discuss in my dissertation, 896 have one or more words preceding. In the Classical Hebrew writings we find and excessive use of the conjunction WAW ("and") (compared with moderns styles). I argue that in terse narrative style, the rule is that the WAW (in the form of WAY-) is prefixed to the YIQTOL verbs (=WAYYIQTOLs). But when the author finds it necessary to place one or more words before the verb, the WAY- element cannot  be prefixed, and the result was a YIQTOL. Because this happens so often, not only in connection with the negative L), but with many other particles and words as well, we have a good case in favor of the narrative WAYYIQTOL verb is a YIQTOL with a prefixed WAW. If the preceding elements were removed, in accordance with the rule, the YIQTOL would become a WAYYITOL,

Students are taught that when YIQTOLs are used with past reference, they normally represent what is called "durative past."  An interesting test  when YIQTOLs occurr in a past setting and the action is interpreted as continuing or iterative, would be to  ask whether this kind of action can be demonstrated by the context, or whethter the interpretation solely is based on theory. Proverbs 31 was recently mentioned, and a good question would be: How can we know that the YIQTOLs in this chapter signal "durative past" but the WAYYIQTOLs do not have this force?

As mentioned, most clauses with WAYYIQTOLs are not transparent, but some are.  In my disertation I give examples of WAYYIQTOLs with present and future reference, and WAYYIQTOLs having different kinds of imperfective characteristics. So, it important to analyze clauses where the real nature of the verbs are visible.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway.