[b-hebrew] song 1:7

Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. nir at ccet.ufrn.br
Fri Dec 14 14:41:50 EST 2012

karl,

>>> PERE: as Nir said in another post, HWMYH in Is 22:2 is not a noun (it is a
participle, feminine singular, acting as an adjective).

>>> KARL: Using the context as a guide, which indicates we should
look for a noun in this place, I call it a noun.
>>> KARL:On what basis do you call it a participle acting as an adjective?

... and on what basis do you call it a noun? neither pere nor i see it as a
noun, especially if you examine the way it is inserted in the phrase, i.e.
followed by (L. we see it as describing an action, a participle. we also gave
two etymologies which favor interpretation as a participle: to veil and to
flock upon.

as i said before, the common grammatical classification valid e.g.
in english does not always apply to BH, and there are many examples
where a word followed by K-, H- etc is not a noun.

 וְהִנֵּה הָעַתֻּדִים הָעֹלִים עַל-הַצֹּאן, עֲקֻדִּים נְקֻדִּים וּבְרֻדִּים.

after H- normally a noun is expected, but again the preposition
(L indicates it is a "verb", and we have a clause here. the english
translation would be "which mount", a verb. actually i see this phrase
as quite parallel in form to song 1:7.

 וַיְהִי כְּמֵשִׁיב יָדוֹ

can you call this a noun? a detailed english translation would be "and he was
like one which takes back his hand".

>>> Do you have other examples of where the plural of a feminine noun ending
in a -H has the plural form ending in -NYWT? Where are they found in Tanakh?

it is the normal way for a feminine noun ending in a -YH to become -YWT. and
if the last letter in N, so -NYH becomes -NYWT.

but sometimes also -H without a Y becomes -YWT. thus, M$NH becomes M$NYWT. i
am sure pere can find more BH examples.

nir cohen