[b-hebrew] Old West Semitic Words from the Valley vs. Classic Biblical Hebrew

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Fri Dec 14 14:37:25 EST 2012

Old West Semitic Words from the Valley vs.  Classic Biblical Hebrew
In asking whether the oldest parts of the  Torah may have been committed to
writing as early as the Late Bronze Age, one  key issue is whether the
vocabulary of west Semitic Canaanite at that time was  or was not very similar
to the vocabulary of classic Biblical Hebrew in Iron Age  Judah.  Of course,
the pre-1200 BCE  archaic case endings must be discarded, and we should
rightly expect that the  endings generally may differ.  But  are the roots the
same, and with the same meaning, so that vocabulary is really  no problem?
As a start toward answering that important  question, let’s take a look
here at the three west Semitic words that were  recorded in cuneiform by Yapaxu
and his successors in the Ayalon Valley in Year 14, near the end of the
Amarna Age.  [Remember, we’re  looking at old west Semitic Canaanite words,
n-o-t  Akkadian words, to see if those old  Canaanite words match up quite
nicely with the vocabulary of classic Biblical  Hebrew in Iron Age Judah.]
1.  Amarna Letter EA 297: 13, from Yapaxu,  who is the tent dweller-hating
firstborn son of longtime Amorite princeling  ruler Milk-i-Ilu.
si-ri =  “pot”.
That west Semitic word compares directly to  the following Biblical Hebrew
word:
SYR = “pot” at Exodus 16: 3;  II Kings 4:  41.
Here the match is exact, once one drops the  archaic pre-1200 case ending.
[By  the way, we are usually certain as to the meaning of each of these old
west  Semitic words, because in most cases the west Semitic word is
directly  juxtaposed with the Akkadian word that has the identical meaning.  Thus
we can also check whether the  meaning of the west Semitic root changed over
a period of 700 years.  It  didn’t!]
2.  Amarna Letter EA 296: 18, from Yaxtiru, who likely is allied with
Yapaxu’s successor Adda-danu.
la-bi-tu =  “mudbrick”.
Although having a different  ending, that west Semitic word can readily be
compared to the following Biblical  Hebrew word:
LBNH = “mudbrick”, at Genesis 11:3;  Ezekiel 4: 1.  [This word appears
most famously in  Exodus, but in the plural.]
In classic Biblical Hebrew, in Canaanite,  and for that matter in Akkadian
as well, the word for “mudbrick” can be viewed  as being LB + ending.
3.  Amarna Letter EA 292: 29, from Adda-danu, who is Yapaxu’s successor
late  in Year 14.
ba-ni-ti = “I  built”.
That west Semitic word compares directly to  the following Biblical Hebrew
word [and since it’s a verb, there’s not even an  archaic case ending to
drop here]:
BNYTY = “I have built”, at I Kings 8:  13.
Conclusion
Based on the Amarna Letters from Jerusalem and from the Ayalon Valley  just
northwest of Jerusalem, it appears that west Semitic words  used in the
Amarna Age can usually be traced directly to Biblical Hebrew  words.  Scholars
say that those west  Semitic words in the Amarna Letters are “Canaanite”,
and are definitely  n-o-t  “Hebrew”.  But that narrow view of what properly
constitutes “Hebrew” is not helpful as to the key question, which is
whether  Amarna Age Canaanite and classic Biblical Hebrew in Iron Age Judah
essentially shared the same vocabulary.  Note that in 10 out of 12 cases from
Jerusalem and the Ayalon Valley, the  root of the old west Semitic word from
the mid-14th century BCE had  not changed 700 years later in the time of 8th
- 7th  century BCE Judah.  I tentatively  conclude from that small sample
size that Amarna Age Canaanite and Iron Age  Judah classic Biblical Hebrew
essentially shared the same vocabulary.  If the first Hebrews living in the
Late  Bronze Age committed a portion of the Torah to writing, then the Jews
under King  Hezekiah in early 7th century BCE Jerusalem would know the west
Semitic vocabulary that was used in that truly ancient writing.  It seems to
me that the underlying  vocabulary of west Semitic changed little over those
700  years.
Jim  Stinehart
Evanston,  Illinois