[b-hebrew] Song of song 1:7

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 08:51:03 EST 2012

Pere:

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Pere Porta <pporta7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Karl,
>
> as Nir said in another post, HWMYH in Is 22:2 is not a noun (it is a
> participle, feminine singular, acting as an adjective).

Here we have a word that is used once in surviving literature, and when we
look at the context, it’s in a place where we expect to find a noun. We
need to look at the context. Using the context as a guide, which indicates
we should look for a noun in this place, I call it a noun.

On what basis do you call it a participle acting as an adjective?

> The same, for instance, as PRYH in Ps 128:3 or HMYH in Pr 7:11.

In these two examples, the context indicates we should look for an
adjective, unlike HWMYH above.

> Coming back to our (+YH (Song 1:7), this is  --unfortunately for this
> discussion--   the only sample in the entire Tanakh of a Qal Participle,
> singular feminine, of a verb lamed-heh.

Is this a participle nominalizing an action (similar to English “the loving
thing here …”) or a noun? This is where if we knew what it means, that
would make it easier.

> You are quite right that many nouns are found ending -YH.
> Now, what refers to BYRNYH (as you write it), fortified place ---------->
> the right basic form is BYRNYT (2Ch 17:12), derived from or built on  BYRH,
> castle, palace (2Ch 29:1)

Do you have other examples of where the plural of a feminine noun ending in
a -H has the plural form ending in -NYWT? Where are they found in Tanakh?

> If finelly, after your study of the word in Song 1:7, you decide it is a
> noun....   I have nothing else to say thereon.

I’m not sure it is, but I’m leaving that option open.

It’s in a form that could be a noun, in a context where it could be a noun,
so we can’t rule it out, but is it a noun? Or a participle of an action?