[b-hebrew] Song of song 1:7

Pere Porta pporta7 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 01:49:47 EST 2012

Karl,

as Nir said in another post, HWMYH in Is 22:2 is not a noun (it is a
participle, feminine singular, acting as an adjective).
The same, for instance, as PRYH in Ps 128:3 or HMYH in Pr 7:11.
Coming back to our (+YH (Song 1:7), this is  --unfortunately for this
discussion--   the only sample in the entire Tanakh of a Qal Participle,
singular feminine, of a verb lamed-heh.
You are quite right that many nouns are found ending -YH.
Now, what refers to BYRNYH (as you write it), fortified place ---------->
the right basic form is BYRNYT (2Ch 17:12) (*), derived from or built on
 BYRH, castle, palace (2Ch 29:1)
If finelly, after your study of the word in Song 1:7, you decide it is a
noun....   I have nothing else to say thereon.

(*) Remark the final T letter and the suffix -NYT. This -NYT is quite
uncommon in the Tanakh... but it is very common in today Israeli Hebrew.to
indicate feminines: SAFRANYT, (female) librarian or KATVANYT, (female)
writer, for some samples.

Quite friendly,

Pere Porta

--