[b-hebrew] Tense

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 16:03:15 EST 2012

Jerry:

Your classroom test below is a good piece of humor, thanks.

“…with usage, the past tense became its primary function.” What time period
are we talking about? Post-Biblical Hebrew, which, from what I read, had
been transformed to a tense base language by the Mishnaic period? How does
that fit Hebrew from the Biblical era?

Another question that has not been answered so far, what percentage of the
Wayyiqtols in Tanakh are found in historical narratives, past tense
contexts? 90%? Shouldn’t we then weight the 6.9% of non-past Wayyiqtols
much more heavily when analyzing whether or not Wayyiqtol is a marker for
past tense? In other words, if we give each semantic use of Wayyiqtol one
vote, would the 90% of Wayyiqtols used in historical narrative get only one
vote, thereby showing that merely the raw numbers give a lopsided view?

Karl W. Randolph.