[b-hebrew] Song of song 1:7

Pere Porta pporta7 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 23:54:36 EST 2012

It is not a noun, Karl. It is a Qal Participle, singular feminine of (+H.
It is not from (Y+. Remark that in Song 1:7 the yod comes after the teth
and not before it.
It is a variant -rarely appearing in the Tanakh-  of the much more usual
form without the yod:

Look at Dt 20:20; Jd 20:31 and Is 49:21 for some instances of this much
common form (lacking yod) of the Qal Participle, singular feminine, of
verbs lamed"heh (or lamed"yod).

Now, what refers to the meaning...  I'm not sure which is here the real
meaning of this word. The NAS has "who veils herself"

Friendly,

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)

2012/12/12 K Randolph <kwrandolph at gmail.com>

> Is the word (+YH here a noun? By context and form it doesn’t appear to be
> a verb, even though my concordance lists it as a verb.
>
> Secondly, any guesses as to its meaning? Is it from (+H “to wrap around”,
> or possibly (Y+ “to tear at, attack” or possibly some other meaning?
>
> Yours, Karl W. Randolph.

Pere Porta