[b-hebrew] More on verbs

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 10:02:57 EST 2012

James:

I agree that in discussion the first step is not to use non-standard
definitions of terms that have already been defined. It’s better to use a
neologism than to repurpose a term already in use. Repurposing terms often
causes even negative emotional responses as people realize that clear
communication is not achieved.

Another response: it appears that when he reads the Hebrew text, that he
does so as a philological puzzle to be solved, not as a message to be
applied to his life. Or in other words, his study is heavy on theory but
light on application. This shows some of my personal bias: I started
reading in Hebrew because I was having trouble understanding the only
translation we had in the house, in archaic English (KJV) and all I wanted
to do was more accurately to understand what God has to say to the world.
Learning the Hebrew language was merely the means to the goal, not the goal
itself. As a result, my studies have been light on theory, emphasizing
instead application.

George: is part of the problem of understanding Biblical Hebrew the very
effort to try to make it fit our models? For example, is there really a
polarity in the use of Qatal-Yiqtol differentiation, or is this a case as
in other languages that don’t have a separate form for each usage, that
forms can be reused for more than one purpose? While the
perfective-imperfective polarity is clearly wrong, are there not times that
the Qatal is used for indefinite actions, and many times that Yiqtol used
for definite actions?

I hope you have a good vacation.

Karl W. Randolph.