[b-hebrew] Fw: Song of Songs 1:3 TWRQ

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Dec 12 01:06:00 EST 2012

1. Hebrew etymology is a delicate and uncertain undertaking.

2. TuRaQ certainly deserves more than just "some discussion". Every
word of the Hebrew bible deserves scrutiny.

3. As for understanding the text, I would read it: By your good
smelling oils your name (reputation?) is mollified as by oil.

4. I agree with you that RK is 'soft' and that RQ is 'thin' (whatever
is soft may be spread out), both related to MRX, 'smear' (see Is.
38:21), MRQ, 'pulverize', and MRG, 'grate, shred' (see Is. 41:15).

5. ROQ (actually ROK, 'tenderness') is indeed 'spit, phlegm, mucus,
muck'.

6. YARAQ appears to me to be a variant of ZARAQ, 'toss' (also ZARAX,
'shine, emit light'), referring specifically to the ejection of
spittle. Also to grass sooting forth its green blades. Related to
them is $ARAQ, 'whistle, ejecting through the lips of a thin column
of air in order to produce a shrill sound'. Also to the SARIYG,
'branch', of Gen. 40:10.

Isaac Fried, Boston University