[b-hebrew] Fw: Song of Songs 1:3 TWRQ

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Dec 11 18:54:04 EST 2012

1. I agree with you that TURAQ is an act of the root RQ.

2. It appears to me that the root RQQ is a variant of the roots

רכך, רחק, רקח, רקק

or RKK, RXQ, RQX, RQQ

all meaning 'soft, pliable, melleable, spreadable, supple'. Compare
Is. 1:6 "neither mollified with ointment"

Indeed, we have from this root also the רקיק RAQIYQ of Ex. 29:23,
'wafer', which I don't think is hollowed out.

In the Mishnah we find דגי רקק DGEI RKAK, 'mud or swamp
creatures'.

So TURAQ, methinks, is not 'pouring out', but rather 'softening'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University