[b-hebrew] L) YD( )TW (gen 43)

Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. nir at ccet.ufrn.br
Tue Dec 11 11:58:52 EST 2012

isaac,

i fully agree with karl, and jim, and see nothing enigmatic in the reference to bread.
though there might be other interpretations possible.

but i also think i understand the particular doubt you are raising. the following argument, i think, takes
care of your objection:

A. your point of departure is that the HB held joseph in the highest esteem, and so could not cast any
doubt (explicit or implicit) about his trustworthiness. this is, of course, your personal bias, which i respect but
do not share.  nevertheless, for the sake of the argument i accept it.

B. point A, though,  does not prevent the text from holding the MINISTER in such a low esteem so as to
depict him as having less than full confidence in joseph....

voila!

>>> One may say that it refers to the master going over with Joseph over the daily menu...

actually i accept it as a possibility; but then he would also go over with him about acquiring a new porsche or modigliani,
the neck tie wardrobe and the party next week with the Hurrian prienceling Ir-Hebba etc etc etc....

yet, the fact is that only MEAL and WIFE were mentioned, and this implies
some importance to MEAL and WIFE  within this story. namely, the text held them
as equally important to the minister.

nir cohen

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 07:21:05 -0800, K Randolph wrote