[b-hebrew] Fw: Song of Songs 1:3 TWRQ

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 10:00:24 EST 2012

Pere:

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Pere Porta <pporta7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From the viewpoint of form, there is a verbal form, not a noun.
> In my list of about 9,000 patterns, I found none that being the sum of
> prefix TW- + two root consonants is a noun. And I say this of both prefixes
> TW- and T + qubbuts.
> This said, this pattern TW + two root consonants can be:
>
> 1. From verbs p"y, as Karl suggests  ------  see Gn 15:15; Am 7:10; Ps
> 45:15

As a verbal form, can be either niphal or hophal.

> 2. From verbs ayin"waw (or ayin"yod), as lexicons say of twraq in Song
> 1:3 -------- see 2K 11:15

As a verb, from hophal.

> 3. From verbs ayin"ayin (doubled), as David Kolinsky suggests -------- I
> found no sample in the Tanakh.

Isaiah 33:1 $DD

> Then, the context and the sense must decide which is the precise root TWRQ
> comes from.
> Song 1:3 seems to be a rare construction: shemen twraq shimkha...
> But, Karl, this is certainly not a noun. If the pattern [TW + 2 root
> consonants] exists in Hebrew as a noun pattern... I surely would have found
> it.

Let’s look in TWGH from YGH, TWDH from YDH, TWRH from YRH, TW$B from Y$B
found in Genesis 23:4, Exodus 12:45, Leviticus 22:10 and at least nine
other verses, so you should have found it.

> Friendly,
>
> Pere Porta
> (Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)=

So my question remains, is this a noun from YRQ?

Karl W. Randolph.