[b-hebrew] Fw: Song of Songs 1:3 TWRQ

Pere Porta pporta7 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 00:03:51 EST 2012

>From the viewpoint of form, there is a verbal form, not a noun.
In my list of about 9,000 patterns, I found none that being the sum of
prefix TW- + two root consonants is a noun. And I say this of both prefixes
TW- and T + qubbuts.
This said, this pattern TW + two root consonants can be:

1. From verbs p"y, as Karl suggests  ------  see Gn 15:15; Am 7:10; Ps 45:15
2. From verbs ayin"waw (or ayin"yod), as lexicons say of twraq in Song
1:3 -------- see 2K 11:15
3. From verbs ayin"ayin (doubled), as David Kolinsky suggests -------- I
found no sample in the Tanakh.

Then, the context and the sense must decide which is the precise root TWRQ
comes from.
Song 1:3 seems to be a rare construction: shemen twraq shimkha...
But, Karl, this is certainly not a noun. If the pattern [TW + 2 root
consonants] exists in Hebrew as a noun pattern... I surely would have found
it.

Friendly,

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)=

2012/12/10 David Kolinsky <hadeesh at sbcglobal.net>

> [...]

Pere Porta