[b-hebrew] Xi and Samekh [was Job 38:8 ??]

Will Parsons wbparsons at alum.mit.edu
Sun Dec 9 16:01:56 EST 2012

Karl,

I think you seriously misunderstood my argument.  I want to wrap this
up so I'll not make any new arguments or re-hash old points, but will
summarize in one place what I've previously written as follows:

1) Just because Greek xi has its origin in Phoenician/Hebrew samekh
   and represents the cluster /ks/, doesn't necessarily mean that
   samekh was also pronounced [ks].

   o  Greek and Phoenician/Hebrew had quite different phonologies.

   o  One therefore shouldn't expect exact correspondences and read
      back into Phoenician/Hebrew the Greek values.

2) Use of a single letter to represent a phonetic sequence, such as is
   the case with xi, doesn't necessarily imply that the letter
   represents a single phoneme.  That [ks] was not a single phoneme in
   Greek is shown by:

   o  Internal evidence within Greek itself, e.g., helix (/heliks/)
      vs. plural helikes.  (Note there is no "sound change" involved
      here, xi didn't "turn into" kappa - the final /k/ of stem is
      unchanged in both singular and plural.)

   o  Explicit descriptions by ancient grammarians.

3) Greek is not unique in using single letters to represent sequences
   of phonemes.

   o  Coptic provides additional examples, similar in type to Greek,
      where internal evidence shows a single letter representing a
      sequence of phonemes across a morpheme boundary.

4) Unlike Greek Ξ and Coptic Φ or +, there is no internal evidence
   that samekh represented a sequence of phonemes.  (That [ks] could
   represent a single phoneme is itself unlikely, since I know of *no*
   languages where this is the case, certainly not either Greek or
   English.)

   o  There are, for example, no examples of samekh representing a
      sequence of /k/ and /s/ that happen to come together in an
      internal cluster.  (Yes, I know *you*, Karl, do not think there
      *were* consonantal clusters in the interior of Hebrew words, but
      I, with most others, do.)

5) Conclusion:  There is little reason to think that samekh
   represented [ks] and good reason to think it did not.

--
Will Parsons
μη φαινεσθαι, αλλ' ειναι.