[b-hebrew] tense

Dr. Frank Matheus post at matheus.de
Sun Dec 9 05:06:17 EST 2012

Dear list,

according to our earlier discussion, tense and aspect are likewise connected
to verbal realizations, though they might not be expressed by the verb
itself. A certain phrase can once be "tense", another time "aspect" - there
is no difference in English and Hebrew in this regard. The sentence I have
finished the book refers to the past, the verbal phrase expresses tense. The
same proposition may appear in another text with a different function: "When
I have finished the book, I'll return it to you". Now the phrase points to
the future, and it is aspect, as it links the two events "to finish a book"
and "to give it back". Once uttered, this relation between "earlier" and
"later" never changes.

Frank