[b-hebrew] verbs: do they exist?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Dec 8 19:40:24 EST 2012

1. It is not clear to me what you mean by "having to deal with".

2. I am sorry that what I say makes you "sick and tired". We need to
be patient, tolerating and persevering in bearing and correcting the
errants.

3. Hebrew has a perfectly preserved root system, whereas the Indo-
European languages have long ago lost it, and with the loss of the
root they have also lost the memory of the original grammar of their
language. They, indeed, add to their words fore and aft, but they
don't know anymore what they are adding.

3. The Hebrew grammar is crystal clear and is expressed in one sentence:

              A Hebrew word is a root plus personal pronouns.

Reference to an actor makes a verb, while reference to a thing makes
a noun.

4. Hebrew has not only aft-and-fore addenda, but also inclusions. We
have in Hebrew not only banana I-eat, 'I will eat a banana', banana
eat-I, 'I ate a banana', but also banana ea-I-t, 'I am eating a banana'.

4. Reference here to "most semitic languages, old and new", such as
the alleged "Akkadian", "Ugaritic", and "Hurrian", of which we (OK,
I) know nothing, and for which we have not the slightest means of
verifying the allegations, is meaningless.

5. Linguistics is a kindergarten science dressed in home-cooked
highfalutin terminology. There is nothing to study there.

Isaac Fried, Boston University