[b-hebrew] Jeremiah 17:9

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 11:09:11 EST 2012

Michael:

As I’m cleaning out my mailbox, I came across this unfinished business.

Looking up in my concordance, this word )N$ is listed once as a verb in 2
Samuel 12:15 referring to the first son of David and Bathsheba, the one
conceived during the affair they had before David had Uriah, Bathsheba’s
husband, killed in battle. This was not just sickness, rather dying.

It is the Masoretes who concluded that this use in Jeremiah 12:15 means
“incurable” as they pointed it to indicate that they thought it is a
defective spelling for )NW$.

A fresh look at this verse indicates that it could be a Qatal verb to
indicate “dying”, making this verse mean, “The heart is more crooked
(morally) than anything and it is dying, who knows it?” then the answer in
verse 10, “It is I, YHWH, who investigates the heart …”

Does this clear things up?

Karl W. Randolph.