[b-hebrew] Yiddish cursive script for biblical Hebrew students

Will Parsons wbparsons at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 7 20:22:54 EST 2012

Hi Chris,

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 19:22:29 -0500, Transcriber <transcriber at tanakh.us> wrote:

> I'd like to solicit biblical Hebrew educators' opinion on the value of
> having students learn the "Yiddish cursive" script as part of their
> studies.

I'm not a Hebrew educator, but a Hebrew learner, but I would say, Yes!
(I presume that "Yiddish cursive" is the same as "Hebrew cursive".)
Even though learning the cursive forms of the Hebrew alphabet is kind
of like learning a new alphabet (not so different from cursive forms
of the Latin alphabet), the ease of writing Hebrew is considerably
increased, and more than offsets the additional effort in learning the
forms.

--
William Parsons
μη φαινεσθαι, αλλ' ειναι.