[b-hebrew] Alleged "prophetic tense"

Jerry Shepherd jshepherd53 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 01:24:05 EST 2012

Hi Isaac,

Thanks for this example.  Two things:

(1) Keep in mind that I said "primarily," not "only."

(2) The translation you have provided is by no means the only possibility.
Other possible renderings, as a main verb, are, "God is bringing" and "God
has been bringing."  It is also possible to construe the first half of the
verse as employing a non-articular use of the participle as an adjective or
appositional phrase, as in the NRSV:  "God, who brings them out of Egypt,
is like the horns of the wild ox for them." (see also NJPS and LXX).

Blessings,

Jerry
Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary