[b-hebrew] Fw: Job 38:8 ??

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 16:36:48 EST 2012

David:

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM, David Kolinsky <hadeesh at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> alveolar lateral fricative

I’m familiar with this sound from both Apache and Toisan languages.

But seeing during Biblical times the Sin and Shin were one and the same
letter, with the same pronunciation, are you claiming that the Shin was
also a voiceless alveolar lateral fricative?

Incidentally, I’ve seen evidence that Samek originally had the same sound
as English “X”. So that other than dialectal differences, would it be
rather unusual for the Sin and Samek to be confused? (During Mishnaic times
it appears they had the same sound.)

Karl W. Randolph.