[b-hebrew] Alleged "prophetic tense"

James Spinti jspinti at eisenbrauns.com
Mon Dec 3 10:40:39 EST 2012

Barry,

In addition to John Cook's book, you might want to check out Joosten's new book on the Hebrew verb:
The Verbal System of Biblical Hebrew: A New Synthesis Elaborated on the Basis of Classical Prose
by Jan Joosten
Jerusalem Biblical Studies - JBS 10
Simor, Ltd., 2012

The Hebrew verbal system is the subject of a large amount of disagreement right now, so finding a consensus will be difficult…but I would say that most/all would agree with you that there is no "prophetic perfect" encoding. The context is what determines the interpretation.

HTH,
James
James Spinti
E-mail marketing, Book Sales Division