[b-hebrew] First 9 Written Hebrew Words

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Mon Dec 3 09:54:50 EST 2012

First 9 Written Hebrew  Words
Set forth below are what may be the first 9  Hebrew words that were written
in transcriptions whose actual physical artifacts  remain intact to this
very day.  These are west Semitic/pre-Hebrew words written in Years 13-14 by
the  scribe of IR-Heba, who was the Hurrian princeling ruler of Jerusalem at
that time  during the Amarna Age.  After each  word I have set forth the
meaning given by Shlomo Izre’el, followed by my own  guess as to what may be
the equivalent word in Biblical  Hebrew.
It’s fascinating to see all  those vowels!
1.  u-$a-a-ru.  “denounce”.  ???  [Psalm 5: 8 has $WRRY, meaning “my
enemies”.???]
2.  ma-ax-si-ra-mu.  “whatever they need”.  Deuteronomy 15: 8:  MXSRW.
3.  zu-ru-ux.  “arm”.  ZR(Y at Genesis 49: 11.
4.  ca-du-uq.  “just”.  Genesis 38: 26:  CDQH.
5.  la-qa-xu.     “they took”.  Deuteronomy 31: 26:  LQX.  [In the Bible,
the lamed/L normally  drops out.]
6.  ga-ag-gi-mi.  “roof”.  Deuteronomy 22: 8:  GG [as the root].
7.  u-bi-li-mi;  u-bi-il.  “porters”.  ???  Cf. the Aramaic word BLW,
meaning  “tribute”, at Ezra 4: 13??  [Does  this word actually refer to the “
taxpayers” of Jerusalem, who are “tribute-bearers” in the sense that they
have funded the “tribute” for IR-Heba’s caravan that is being sent to  Egypt?
 Or by contrast is the reference, as  conventionally thought, to “[captive]
porters” who are slaves being sent to  Egypt as “tribute” as part of the
caravan?]  Cf. also the Hebrew word  BLH in the form BLTY at Genesis 18: 12,
though the meaning does not seem to fit  too well???
8.  $a-de-e.  “field”.  Genesis 23: 11:  %DH.
9.  a-ba-da-at.  “lose”.  Exodus 10: 7:  )BDH.
The above 9 first written  Hebrew words come from pp. 78-82 of the
following scholarly article by Shlomo  Izre’el:
_http://www.academia.edu/230038/Canaanite_Varieties_in_the_Second_Millennium
_BC_Can_We_Dispense_with_Anachronism_
(http://www.academia.edu/230038/Canaanite_Varieties_in_the_Second_Millennium_BC_Can_We_Dispense_with_Anachronism)

I would appreciate everyone’s  comments/corrections/help regarding these 9
words.
Interestingly, the two words I’m having the  most trouble with, #1 and #7,
each start with U, which does not seem like Hebrew  to me.  Perhaps I am
evaluating the  first letter wrong, by effectively ignoring it?  How could a
Hebrew word start with the  vowel U as its own separate syllable?  Any help on
that would be greatly appreciated.  The other 7 words seem to have fairly
clear Biblical Hebrew equivalents.
Jim Stinehart
Evanston,  Illinois