[b-hebrew] Alleged "prophetic tense"

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 20:46:13 EST 2012

Barry:

I don’ty know of any published articles in journals that deal specifically
with this question. However, I have published on this list reasons why this
“prophetic tense” is a fallacy.

The so-called “prophetic tense” comes from the belief that the Qatal form
of verbs codes for the past tense. While that is true for modern Hebrew,
and I’m not sure for how much earlier, it’s not true for Biblical Hebrew.
In Biblical Hebrew, the Qatal and Yiqtol forms code for neither tense nor
aspect, rather for mood: the basic moods being primary vs. secondary moods.
Hence, future events written about in Qatal form refers to a primary use of
the verb, indicative, of an event that has not yet come.

The Yiqtol secondary use is also secondary to the subjunctive mood, as well
as indicating results of the primary verb, intent and continuation of
narrative.

It seems to me that sometimes the choice of Qatal or Yiqtol might be
related to grammatical use, but that impression may merely be the result of
poor understanding of the text on my part.

Karl W. Randolph.