[b-hebrew] Fw: Re: Names of Rachel's Second-Born Son

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 01:33:11 EDT 2011

Bryant:

The modern calendars of Israel are what you described. The “secular”
calendar with its names were borrowed from Aramaic. However, there is no
evidence that prior to the Babylonian captivity that the Aramaic calendar
was followed. The Bible recorded four of the month names prior to the
Babylonian captivity and all the evidence that I have learned of so far
indicates that the other month names have been lost.

This is just one piece of evidence that Jews became native Aramaic speakers
during the Babylonian captivity and Hebrew from then on was a second
language.

Karl W. Randolph.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Bryant J. Williams III <bjwvmw at com-pair.net