[b-hebrew] Names of Rachel's Second-Born Son

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Tue Sep 27 08:47:27 EDT 2011

David Kolinsky wrote:

"As far as I understand, at least from a Jewish religious perspective, YMiN did not mean "right" but rather "dominant."  In other words,  the YMiN of a left dominant individual would be his left hand."

David, what's your evidence for this? I'm intrigued by the suggestion, but my initial reaction is 'no'. I'd need some specific evidence for this take. Can you cite anything for this, then?

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia