[b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 22:3

Pere Porta pporta7 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 00:59:25 EDT 2011

Karl,
neither different roots nor copyst errors.

(By the way, are you sure of the use of "haburim"?.Maybe you meant
"habErim"? (See in Jdg 20:11)

The problem you raise is that of the well known "short - long" or "haser -
male'" (or whatever you may call it) in the biblical text.

(Remark: Jr 46:27 does not exist, Karl. Jr 46 consists of 18 verses)

Now,
--why M and not MW in the Hiph'il Participle?
--why T and not TW in the Hiph'il imperfect?

Remark that in the Tanakh both forms are used for this binyan.
And so,

-M ----------------- משיע in 2Sa 22:42
-MW -------------- מושיע in Is 43:11

-T ----------------  תסף in Ex 11:6
-TW -------------  תוסיף in Jb 20:9

This is a widely known behaviour or feature of the biblical script, Karl.

Do you agree?

Regards from

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)

2011/9/23 K Randolph <kwrandolph at gmail.com>

> Dear B-Hebrew haburim:
>
> This section is a variation of Psalm 18, however the section that is the
> subject of this message is not in Psalm 18.
>
> אלהי צורי אחסה־בו מגני וקרן ישׁעי משׂגבי ומנוסי משׁעי מחמס תשׁעני
>
> The last section משׁעי מחמס תשׁעני is usually translated as “my savior, you
> save me from injustice”.
>
> Problems:
>
> משׁעי since when does “savior” lack the waw after the mem, as in Jeremiah
> 46:27 and Obediah 21? However, משׁעי is also found in Ezekiel 16:4 where it
> has a completely different meaning.
>
> תשׁעני The same question with this, where is the waw as in Job 40:14 or
> Isaiah 63:5?
>
> Are we dealing with different roots here? Copyist errors (DSS ?)?
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

Pere Porta