[b-hebrew] The Names "Abram" and "Abraham"

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Sun Sep 18 10:28:25 EDT 2011

Jim,

The linguistic impossibilities of your suggestion do not bother me so much as the breathtaking fantasy of a Mesopotamian-born man in the Bronze Age (whichever subsection of it you wish to assign makes no difference at this point) being named after an Egyptian deity, although only half the deity's name made it into the Mesopotamian man's name. You're hanging a suggestion that goes against everything we know of ancient Near Eastern religions in the Bronze and Iron Ages on a single letter. You're going to revolutionise history with this!

But then again, maybe not.

Perhaps as a way of testing your own theories, you could write up an article and see if a peer-reviewed journal is willing to publish it. But I would be mighty surprised if any journal does publish it. Why? Because this is precisely the type of fantasy that denigrates serious scholarship based on evidence and logic.

Jim, I suggest you take a course on logic, as well as on historical and linguistic research, and ancient Near Eastern religions. And I mean that seriously. God bless you for your sincerity, but I just wish you'd channel it into some actual logic and proper handling of evidence. You need to remove the blinkers that seem to keep you from appraising evidence appropriately, and stop massaging data into incredulous conclusions. I know that sounds harsh, but I don't mean it to be. I just want you to get a dose of reality and offer us something that is of actual substance rather than a figment of your imagination. You seem to have a lot of energy to put into things, which is great! But I think I speak for many in saying that I wish you'd pour that energy into actually learning to make a proper argument with which we can engage. Until then, you will keep finding people telling you that your ideas are fantastic—literally! You are not bringing about a Copernican revolution in biblical studies. Your ideas are actually scuttling attempts to seriously engage with Hebrew and biblical literature. And until that changes, I will continue to oppose your ideas with an Irenean strategy of simply pointing out what you're saying. I do not need to refute your ideas; simply restating them functions as enough of a refutation.

With earnest sincerity, Jim, please do yourself and everyone else a favour and channel your energies into some further study. Perhaps then we will be able to have a proper discussion.

This thread is still closing on Sunday night.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia